Sunday, August 29, 2010

One month into the Bangkok Adventure!

Well, I only have one week left of class and then the real adventure begins – trying to find a job, looking for a good place to live, having my own excursions, etc. This last week we went to a local high school. This was an interesting experience! The school had outdoor hallways since most the classes were not air-conditioned and it’s so hot in Bangkok. It was fun and a neat experience. It was one of the best public schools in the city/area. I am learning through my experience that having some teaching experience has its pro’s and con’s. On the plus side I have been doing some things very well and have confidence in front of the classroom but I’m also having to quit some bad teaching habits that I’ve formed over the years like telling the students what they will be learning. This has actually been quite a challenge! We’re taught to teach with an inductive approach (students figuring out what they will be learning rather than teacher telling students what they’ll be learning). You ask probing questions and give synonyms/antonyms to get the class to think of the answers to what they’ll be learning. This is great for language learning and capturing student interest. Language learning is all about getting the students to talk in English. It’s been fun! Outside the class I finally bought a guitar! I was looking for a cheap guitar since I will not bring it home with me. I found this guitar with a nice backpack soft case for only 3,400 baht (a little over $100)! Not a bad deal – I’ll stuff the case in my suitcase when I come hope since I can fold it up. Anyway – I’ll catch up with you all again next weekend.
Take care,

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are having fun, George! You have many exciting adventures ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - that photo of you is great. I am happy you are doing well. We miss you!!

    ReplyDelete