Monday, August 23, 2010

Finally something from Bangkok!

Sawatdee Krab from Bangkok – that means Hello, Krab for gents, Ka for the ladies. Well, I’ve been here almost 3 weeks now and it’s been exciting so far. My flights were a bit long but surprisingly I did well. The flight to Hong Kong was long and they brought us 2 meals. The Chinese flight attendant asked me what I thought was “Chicken and Fries” or Beef and Potato for the first meal. I said Chicken and Fries (thinking she would bring me some Chik Fil A). It was actually chicken and rice and it was all dark meat. That’s when it hit me that food would be a bit different. I plowed through the first couple of bites and they were a bit rough but by the end – it was edible! Then the next choices came about 4 hours later and I went with Pork and noodles. This time I knew what to prepare for and it was actually quite good. When I arrived in Bangkok late Tuesday night it was surprisingly easy to clear customs. They didn’t check my bags or anything – much different than Belize! I found a young girl in the right location holding a sign for “Tim George” Chichester College and I figured I probably didn’t have a classmate with that name so that must be me. She unfortunately didn’t speak much English so there wasn’t much conversation, just smiling and nodding. She took me up to a cab and gave the guy directions I assume in Thai. They I was off – in a cab, in Bangkok with a guy who knew nothing but numbers in English. He talked me into paying him 500 baht and I didn’t know any better. Luckily he took me to the right place and John, the landlord at the “Discovery Lodge” where I’m staying met me and took me to my room. When John found out I paid for my ride he gave me back 500 baht so I wasn’t out anything. We got to my room and I was quite surprised! I live in a parking garage which is interesting. Luckily I'm on the top floor so it's a decent view. I had low expectations since it was only costing my $100 for the month. It turns out I have A/C in the back room and a real toilet – no hot water though. I’m pretty sure my bedroom was once used for naughtiness since I have a circle bed, mirrors on all walls and ceilings, and fancy red lights at the back of the bed. No problem though – John (landlord) cleans the sheets every week. Anyway – long story short (too late!) here are some pictures to sum up my first couple of weeks. They are of my place, the Disco Lodge BBQ, and The Thai Beattles tribute band - who was actually amazing, spoke in British accents and everything. Sorry about the blogging delay – I’ll try to keep to a regular weekly blog after each weekend from now on. Lah Gorn (or Goodbye)

May place!




My view - almost every afternoon



Disco Lodge BBQ




The Thai Beattles


No comments:

Post a Comment